Colin started 1st grade today! It is amazing to me how fast time flies!
I've been having a hard time with the beginning of school this year. (Pretty much like all the others!)
It occurred to me that he has started every school year at a different school, which of course, I started to feel guilty about.
There are so many changes that have happened in our lives this year and are literally happening right now that I sometimes get the mom-guilt and worry about every decision being made and every aspect of my children's lives they will affect.
Welcome to motherhood, huh?!
New for Colin this year:
-House
-School
-Teacher
-Friends
-RIDING THE BUS- for some reason this one is really getting to me! I drove him this morning so I could take him to his classroom and make sure he knew where to go. He rode the bus home though because I wanted him to get used to it and learn the after-school process. He said he enjoyed it so that's good!
It's hard to let your kids go into the world. I'm slowly losing control over aspects of his life and it's scary! I worry: what if he can't remember his teachers name and doesn't know where his classroom is? How will they get him to the right place? What if he gets on the wrong bus? Does he feel comfortable in a new school and riding the bus? Will he make new friends? What if his new friends are little punks and are bad influences?Does he feel scared or lonely?
And these are just my first grade worries! I don't even want to think about my worries when he reaches high school.
I know everyone has to experience these things in life and we all get through them but I don't want my kids to ever have to hurt or be uncomfortable or feel scared.
Then I've got the added worry about bringing a new baby into our family. How will that change the dynamic? How will it affect Colin and Peyton? Especially after just moving and starting school and dealing with all the other changes in their young lives?
(I really hope a lot of this is the hormones talking!
And I really hope the hormones leave quickly after the baby's born-
tomorrow, by the way, because I'm going to be induced: a first for us).
Okay, enough of my pity party. Let's get on to the first day of First grade!
Colin's request for his last day of summer was to go to Chuck E. Cheeses. Rachel flew in yesterday afternoon so we waited until dinner time so she could come and Ryan could meet us there after work. Mom and little Ryan came too. It was a ton of fun! Rach, Mom, little Ry, the kids, and I got there before Ryan so the kids could play and then we ordered pizza a little bit before Ryan showed up. We ate and played some more. It was a ton of fun!
Colin was excited about school this morning and I didn't even have a hard time waking up! I'd asked him yesterday what he wanted to be when he grows up so I could make his back- to- school sign for him. He told me he'd think about it and get back to me. Before he went to bed he told me he wanted to be a Ninja.
(In pre-school he wanted to be Captain America and in Kindergarten he wanted to be an Army man and chimpanzee).
I love to see how his aspirations evolve :)
Peyton was so excited to wear his backpack. She carried it in the car for him so it didn't have to sit on the floor.
I did cry in the car on the way to school and after we dropped him off (and while writing this post) but I had my sunglasses on so he couldn't tell! I tried my best to hold it together when we were in the school saying bye to him! He seemed really excited and got right to business coloring his worksheet!
Rachel, Jason, Peyton, and I met him at the bus stop this afternoon. We weren't really sure what time it was supposed to come so we spent a lot of time sweltering in the sunlight waiting so we wouldn't miss seeing him get off the bus. He said he liked it so that's good!
I was also a little worried because he complained a lot last year about how long the school day was and riding the bus adds quite a lot of time to that. So far so good, though. Hopefully it will stay that way! He said he likes his teacher and likes his school better than his other school- which surprised me because I loved his school last year. So that's good! I'm hoping this positive attitude sticks!
Last year after his first day I asked him a bunch of questions so I decided to do that again today.
Favorite Subject: Coloring
Favorite Book: "Batman" and "The Kissing Hand"
Favorite Food: Noodles
This year I want to learn about: Snakes
I can't wait for: Playing outside
My friends are: Talon (next door neighbor) and Trey
My teacher is: Ms. Willis (student teacher) and Ms. Hansley (actual teacher)
My grade is: 7th....FIRST!
Um, yeah, let's not jump ahead too far, little man!
0 comments:
Post a Comment